Wednesday, November 23, 2005

thanksgiving break


On Monday, I drove up to Cleveland to hang out with my friend Bobby. It had been a long time since I'd taken a car trip of that length alone (three hours) and I savored it thoroughly. I listened to music and just stepped aside as my thoughts ran every which way, had some conversations with myself in the car, reflected on life, and drove up the interstate to Lake Erie.


Of course, I wasn't actually supposed to go all the way to Lake Erie, but some slightly mixed up directions allowed me a nice view of the lake, and a quick phone call allowed me to re-direct my course such that I made pretty good time. Bobby and I went out to lunch, and then went back to his house and just hung out, talked with his mom, watched dvd's, and I had a very relaxing time for the rest of my visit.


The drive home the next day was not as quiet (I was on the phone for most of the trip), but still very enjoyable. It had started snowing quite a bit, and the trees around the 271 beltway south-east of Cleveland were quite scenic.


Today, I'm back in my home away from school, back down in Columbus, tucked warmly in the upstairs bedroom with a dog and a goldfish, watching the snow fall.


My to do list today consists of the following:

  • practice piano

  • call Grandma

  • go grocery shopping

  • turn off coffee maker

  • eat cookie (see cookie-monster)

That last item was added by James, Adam's roommate, a product designer for a design firm here in Columbus. He added a fantastic little cartoon of Cookie Monster eating cookies.


I had left the list, a pen, and the digital camera on the dining room table, along with a chocolate chip cookie in a bag, while I was practicing piano in the living room. James called to me from the dining room “hey, Robyn, this cookie on the table-- do you know whose it is?”

“yeah, it's mine.” I replied.


“aww, I was hoping it was Adam's. I was going to take pictures of myself eating it.”


He compromised by drawing the Cookie Monster illustration, which I would post if my scanner wasn't back at school. He also took some pictures of himself, not eating the cookie, which I will post, because that's what you get when you take pictures of yourself on someone else's camera.

No comments: