Sunday, October 23, 2005

in honor of the pumpkin



Saturday, I traveled to Circleville to play an hour long show at the Circleville Pumpkin Show, Ohio's oldest festival, and the "greatest free show on earth" according to the people who run the pumpkin show (if they do say so themselves). It had been quite a long time since I'd played a full solo performance like that, and I felt a little rusty, but it went well and was quite fun, none-the-less.

One of the best things about being on stage during an event like that is the opportunity for people-watching. 100s of people passed in front of that stage as I was up there playing and singing, most of them looking up at me making eye-contact, many of them stopping to watch for a while. I wonder if they knew they were performing for me, as well. So many different stories behind all those eyes. It's always amazing to me how many strangers there are in the world.

Near the end of my performance, as I was on the first verse of "Think of That", I became aware that some sort of parade was coming down the street. After the chorus, I skipped to the ending of the song, and as the audience applauded, a squad of marching drummers formed a circle in front on the stage and proceded to play for the next hour. We tore down my sound equipment to the serenade of their thumping. It was strange.

It was great to play again, to experience the set-up and tear-down chaos, to find the balance between getting the job done and responding to people who want to comment or ask about the music. An hour later, I got to listen to my old friends of the band Lift play on a nearby stage. It was great to hang out with old frends again and to enjoy the music and the festival and the chilly fall evening.

Today, Adam and I went out to breakfast at our new favorite French cafe, and to an antique store just for fun, and to shop for halloween costumes to wear to Hardie's party in Yellow Springs next weekend. I also have the haunted house to look forward to this week, and two shows on campus. And tomorrow is Monday. I'm back at the dorm. Let the craziness begin.

No comments: