Sunday, February 12, 2006

winter machine



I'm starting to feel like this whole winter thing is getting a little out of hand. It had gotten all nice and springish in january, convincing my mind and the flower bulbs that it was done snowing for the year. (Of course, last year it snowed in April, two weeks before school let out for “summer” vacation, so I should have known.) But the cold air came back. And whenever the temperature shifts back and forth like that, I get sick.


Thus, here I am, hanging out with the Lucy-dog for the weekend while Adam is in . . . guess . . . Florida. He called yesterday from Palm Beach with his feet in the atlantic ocean. I was fantastically happy to hear from him, and to know he was thinking of me at the beach. It made me feel just a little less stuck here. He said he hesitated to call because he didn't want me to feel like he was taunting me, but I wasn't frustrated that he called.


The frustrating part is simply that I'm sick, and that I know it's Ohio's fault. Last time I went down to florida, I remember being able to breathe better, I was even able to smell again. (In case I haven't mentioned it before, my sense of smell doesn't work.) Yet, here I am, in central Ohio, coughing every time I inhale, my nose red and sore from all the kleenex. The ground outside is frozen and dead. The sky is blank. The trees are naked. I took Lucy on a walk yesterday morning and there was a small tree that literally looked like it was shivering in the cold, its dead, dry leaves trembling miserably. We've got at least two more months of this kind of weather.


On the plus side, over my spring break Adam and I might get to fly down to florida for his cousin's wedding. As long as we take a couple detours for some photo sites, he can take the company plane for free. I was looking yesterday at national and state park websites to see where we could tent camp instead of paying for hotels.



In the mean time, I shall continue to enjoy my cold, overcast, homework-and-laundry-filled weekend.


No comments: