Wednesday, October 26, 2005

gotta travel on

I'm in the midst of a really overwhelming urge to travel. Winter is on it's way, which will no doubt only intensify this craving. Plans are in the works for a couple possible trip in 2006, but finances are a big obstacle such that the future of my participation in these voyages looks sadly fuzzy.


The biggest, most exciting of these possibilities, is Alaska. For the entire summer.


*dramatic pause*


Yeah, that's how I feel about it. I've almost given up already, just because it seems too cool to be real. Or at least too expensive. But I haven't given up hope. The itch to explore the world is a strong one, and such drives can motivate people like me to find a way where it seems there is none.


I've actually done a good bit of traveling in the past couple years, moreso than ever before in my life. But more recently, as a poor college student, I haven't been able to get around as much. So, I feel the urge to reminisce of these travels. I think what I might do, rather than making one huge long post about each of these trips, I'll post a bit about each trip each day this week.


The grand list of travels started in February 2003, with a somewhat random decision to spend a week in Florida visiting my grandparents, who were renting a place for the winter. The trip took place about a month before my ex and I separated, things had been rough at home for a couple months, and it was fantastic to get away and reclaim my freedom a bit. This was the first time I had spent the night in a bed by myself since getting married in July of 1998, the first time I'd been in an airplane since I was 14, the first time I'd been south of Kentucky since I was 10. That trip was what really got me into photography. My grandparents were wonderful tour guides, and were very supportive of (and patient with) my efforts to take pictures of all sorts of random things. It was amazing to escape from the mid-western winter weather, and I actually cried when the first leg of my return flight arrived in Chicago and the pilot announced the temperature outside.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In marching band on a November evening the band director tried to tell us that how cold we felt was all in the mind, that the temperature was relative. My teeth were chattering so loud, I don't think my brain heard their words. Cold is cold.